PLACES ARE LIMITED
At the end of these conferences, participant will be able to:
Intensification of pharmacotherapy beyond statins in CVD prevention
1. Cite intensification strategies beyond statins when treating dyslipidemia in primary and secondary prevention according to CCS guidelines;
2. Learn how to incorporate Lp(a) into primary and secondary prevention risk stratification;
3. Define RAMQ coverage criteria for molecules beyond statins in primary and secondary CVD prevention;
4. Cite how to incorporate triglyceride values in managing patients at risk for CVD disease;
5. Interactive question and answer session to clarify clinical uncertainties in CVD prevention.
Pitfalls in diagnosing and treating iron deficiency anemia including in patients with anemia of chronic disease
1. Learn how to diagnose iron deficiency anemia integrating serum Fe, UIBC and TIBC Transferrin, Transferrin Saturation, Ferritin, RDW, reticulocytes, FEP and their respective reference ranges and the blood smear. Distinguish IDA from thalassemia trait;
2. Explain the role of hepcidin, ferroportin, transferrin and inflammatory mediators in iron kinetics and learn how to diagnose anemia of chronic disease;
3. Learn the pitfalls and limitations of ferritin values in assessing iron status and learn how to look for clues for a coexisting iron deficiency state in patients with anemia of chronic disease and when and if to use the soluble transferrin receptor and sTfR-ferritin index;
4. Cite the various iron formulations both oral (iron salts, iron polysaccharides, heme iron polypeptides and carbonyl microparticles of elemental iron) and IV, and share clinical pearls to help guide selection of iron preparations when prescribing iron therapy.
Moderator : Dr. Jonathan Singerman. Conferences given by Dr. George Thanassoulis and Dr. Mark Blostein.
From 18 h 00 to 18 h 05, Welcome
From 18 h 05 to 19 h 35, Conference
From 19 h 35 to 19 h 40, Break
From 19 h 40 to 21 h 10, Conference
Recognition of Educational Activities
L’Association des médecins omnipraticiens de Montréal, under the aegis of the FMOQ, recognizes 3.00 hours of professional development activity, of category 1, as required by the professional development regulations of the CMQ. The FMOQ number to retrieve your certificate is 85046.
This activity has received an educational subsidy from Pfizer Canada Inc.